Perfectionism Can Be A Problem In The Garden

 



Perfectionism Can Be A Problem In The GardenπŸ˜‰



Just as in all areas of life, perfectionism, although often socially acceptable, can lead to problems when gardening.

As a mother I have observed this in my parenting: children are often very messy, and when we try to achieve a perfectly neat home when they are about, it usually leads to frustration, stress, and unhappiness.

In the garden, the downside of perfectionism is a bit harder to spot. Outwardly, my garden may seem to be a well oiled machine, but is it really?

Am I pulling up flower plants before they have a chance to spread next year's bounty?

Is my soil tidy and bare, with no cover crops and roots to keep it healthy? (Did you know, weeds can act as a cover crop in a pinch?)

Is my vegetable garden rigidly neat with no pollinator attracting flowers in sight?

And lastly, am I so busy weeding, tidying, raking, and mowing that I have no time at all to simply sit on my bench and enjoy the birds and flowers?

Perhaps now, you can see my point. I have been guilty of this in the past, and I have to admit to neglecting my bench of late. :)

Of course, gardeners need to maintain and care for their gardens, and sometimes, that can be sheer hard work. But let's ask God for wisdom and allow His joy to fill and strengthen us. Let's see our gardens through more child-like eyes.

Why not sit on that bench and watch a bug go by? Or allow that weed with the pretty yellow flower a little corner. Why not grow some Alyssum amongst your vegetables? And most of all, let's enjoy our gardens and families and leave perfectionism behind. 


Messy Garden Bits












And just for fun and coziness, my sister V's cat, Prince Theo. :)

Comments